- NDC group congratulates Mahama on his endorsement
- Today’s Front Pages
- Asawasi NPP murder trial: No show for chairman as four others are remanded again
- Mahama must sack Kwabena Donkor if deadline to end dumsor eludes – Expert
- Burna Boy To Storm UK 2016 After Ban Expires
- Baba Sala Inducted Into Hall of Fame
- @ 69, Ex-VP Atiku Abubakar Rededicates Self To Philantropy & Politics
- Reggie Rockstone launches event guide app, “Weekend Roundup”
- Carter Center to Hold Forum in Ghana on Rights of Women and Girls
- Listen UP: SA based Dancehall act Church Why features Jupitar on new single “Survivor”
Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II
More from Biography
King Otumfuo Osei Tutu, is the 16th Asantehene, King of the Ashanti. He ascended the Golden Stool on 26 April 1999. By name, he is in direct succession to the founder of the Empire of Ashanti, Otumfuo Osei Tutu I.
Born on 6 May 1950, and named Barima Kwaku Dua, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, he is the youngest of the five children of Nana Afua Kobi Serwaa Ampem, II, Asantehemaa (Queen mother of Asante). His father's name is Nana Kwame Boakye-Dankwa from Kantinkyere in the Ashanti region and was also the Brehyia Chief" of Ashanti. He died on 1 January 2002, in Kumasi. His name at birth, Nana Kwaku Duah, happens to be the name of his paternal grandfather. His father, Nana Boakye also had other children from other marriages. Some of his other siblings are Yaw Boateng(Canada),Kwaku Duah(USA), Kwabena Agyei-Bohyen,Afua Sarpong and Ama Agyemang(Kumasi, Ashanti, Ghana) and the late Nana Kwasi Agyemang Prempeh.
He was educated at Institute of Professional Studies(IPS) after his O-Level at Osei Kyeretwie College in Ghana and later at the Polytechnic of North London, now London Metropolitan University, from where he recently also received an honorary degree of Doctor of Philosophy, conferred at a ceremony at The Barbican Centre, London on 11 January 2006. Nana has six children.
He resides at the Manhyia Palace in Kumasi.