- Pictures: @ BABATUNDE TOHA MASHA & BISOLA BADA’s Wedding In Lagos
- Out of The Blues: YAYI Finally Makes Major Showing In The Senate
- For K1 And Wife, TITI MASHA; Its ‘Love Made Out Of This World’
- Kojo Nkansah Liwin Injured On Set
- These Are The 10 Reasons Why It’s Good To Have Sex Every Day
- Vivian Jill Lawrence Gets Discharged After Accident
- Sarkodie In Trouble Over Stolen Car, Gets Arrested
- Sonnie Badu’s Swimming Pool Will Blow Your Mind, It Clearly Shows He’s The Boss – Photo
- Mzbel Embarks On “Stop Illegal Connection” Project To Help Stop Dumsor
- Top Investment Opportunities In The Emerging Markets
Mexican drug cartel hitman says he committed 800 murders before he stopped keeping track
More from World News
- Marian Keyes believes life is too long for happily ever after
- Baby taken into care over fears it may be taken to join ISIS
- Women 'more upset by emotional betrayal than sexual infidelity'
- Zombies, villains and heroes, OH MY! New York Comic Con kicks off in outlandish style as thousands slather on makeup and slap on the costumes to celebrate all things geek
- JAN MOIR on PC Dave Phillips' murder and being a policeman's daughter
- Incredible! Nigerian Bride Shows Up For Her Traditional Marriage Almost N@ked
- PHOTOS: This Rough Girl Shares Photos Of Herself And Lover Having S3x On Facebook
- Angela Okorie's Pictures Causes Drama On Instagram
- Kumawood Actress Vivian Jill Transferred To Kumasi For Further Treatment
- 10 Ways To Start A Conversation To Get Your Partner Horny
- Actress Nikki Samonas Caught Playing With John Dumelo And James Gardiner’s Balls
- Kunafuo 2
- Is she Giving Him A Mouth-Job? Beyonce And Jay z Caught Making-Out On The Pool
- Kunafuo 3
- 84 Year Old Wife Files Divorce From 88 Year Old Husband Because They Were Having S3x Just Twice A Month
- Holy Cow! MMA Fighter Poops Over Cage Mat During Fight
- Sarkodie Being Investigated By Criminal Investigation Department Over Stolen Car
- The Last President Of Ghana
- OMG!! Justin Bieber Strolls Around Completely Nake’d - See Photos
- Ring Of Dreams
- Caught In The Act! What Is 2Face Staring At?
- Beautiful Trouble
- See What Mother Did To Child For Flushing $720 House Rent Down The Toilet
- The Last President of Ghana 2
- Ghanaian named in investigations of Nigeria's ex-minister's who stole £13b
- WATCH: Peace Hyde shares her battle with weight and low confidence
- President Mahama Says Suspension Of Ghanaian Judges Depicts Judicial Robust
- Tupac Shakur’s Handwritten “Is Thug Life Dead?” Prison Letter About Quitting Thug Life Is Being Sold For $225K- Read Letter
- Seven Rivers
- Photos From 2015 Glitz Style Awards
- Mofe Duncan And Wife Meet Chelsea FC Captain And Defender John Terry In London
- Muna Abii Makes Portrait Of Mum
- Sonia Ogiri Challenges Actresses Claiming Sexual Harassment In Nollywood To Tell Their Real Story
- Check out 18 Struggles Ghanaian Compound House Tenants Can Relate To
- Men in high heels, crazy hairdos… All the wild fashion at Glitz Style Awards
- Kunta Kinte finally hints on the possible cause of his life changing stroke
- Premier League set for £3bn windfall from global TV rights as rival broadcasters slug it out to screen England-based superstars
- Yaw Oppong - Public interest must not influence case against judges
- Eve Esin And Segun Arinze Engage In Eye-ball Competition
- Freeze Says Democracy Is Worst Form Of Government
- Mercy Aigbe's Husband Clocks 50
- Bodybuilder Kills Transgender Wife For Sleeping With A Client
- Actress Laide Bakare Goes Shopping Ahead Birthday Party
- Ladies!! How Do You Explain This?
- Kennis Music Dayo Adeneye, D1, Celebrates Wife Of 17 Years With Sweet Words
- Top Investment Opportunities In The Emerging Markets
- Chioma Toplis Caught In Bed With Younger Lover?
- Car dealer explains the story behind Sarkodie’s alleged involvement in car theft
- Kwaw Kese’s Birthday Cake Will Blow Your Mind
- Ronke Odusanya - My Fitness Coach Is Not Nice
- John F Kennedy's father exploited the PT 109 incident to make his son president
- Basketmouth Knows How to Dump Comediansâ€¦De Don
- WOW! This Indonesian Couple And Their Magnificient Castle Cake Will Make Your Day
- Afia Schwarzenegger Denies Insulting President Mahama
- 15 Times Andre ‘Dede’ Ayew’s Daughter Was The Cutest Kid Ever
- Kunta Kinte Finally Reveals The Nurse Who Gave Him Stroke
- If You Are Waiting For Efya’s New Album, We’ve Got Some Bad News For You
- Man Chose 6 Strokes Of Cane Because He Couln't Raise GH¢ 37.00 Fine
- KFC apologises after customer is handed pot of gravy with label that read: 'F*** off'
- BARBARIC: This Man Killed His Mother, Cut Her Heart Out, Then Maturbated To Relieve Himself'
- Police officers who took selfies at Shoreham air crash resign
- When Anas Reveals Himself, The Judges Will Turn To Statues – Kweku Baako
- 15 Ghanaian Celebrities Who Have Been In Embarrassing Situations
- What Is Jim Iyke Up To In These Photos?
- 20 Obvious Signs Your Relationship Is Long Dead
- BREAKING NEWS: Boy, 10, suffering with jaw cancer who needs 'urgent surgery' vanishes and could be in Poland
- Music Video: Konfi ft Ball J – Wonohard
- Music Video: 5Five – Daddy
- Steven Assanti is kicked out of Rhode Island hospital after ordering a pizza
- Major Tension In Presbyterian Church Over Homosexuality
- Patients to pay more for services at Accra Psychiatric Hospital
- Drunken Tory went boozing at Manchester conference but woke up in London - after £311 Uber ride
- Fitness With JamalStackhauz: Nutritional Value of Natural Yogurt
- [PHOTOS] Uche Jombo Officially Unveils Son In Beautiful Photos For Wow Magazine
- Rocky Dawuni Joins Robert F. Kennedy Leadership Council
- Dalene Zeche
- Enyeama Laments Treatment At Eagles Camp
- Angela Luke 'runs over and kills her husband while daughters are in back seat'
- How Kim Kardashian Lost Her Virginity At 14 To Michael Jackson's Cousin, TJ
- Adorable rescue raccoon thinks she's a dog after being raised with family pets
- Man jailed 8 years for car battery theft linked to death of 7-month old baby
- Globacom Awards P-Square With Brandnew 2015 G-Wagon, Range Rover
- Doctor Foster's dramatic finale is a marital snuff movie fizzing with excitement
- [PHOTO] Mofe Duncan And Wife Meet Chelsea Football Star John Terry
- Meet Uche Jombo's Miracle Son (Pictures)
- EVENT: Blowizi Nights “The Genesis” Happening set for October 30
- Wombling isn't free as creator confronts unlicensed performer in 'flea-bitten costume' at event in Wimbledon
- CNN Interviews Rita Dominic
- 'I Love You Jim, Please Forgive Me'- Suicide Note of Jim Carrey's Ex-Girlfriend Revealed
- Tigo celebrates World Teachers Day with Teachers from their ‘Shelter 4 Education’ schools
- Jumia gives special discounts for students and guests at Tigo Digital Fair
- Hotline: Ghana facing food crisis
- Issa Hayatou to serve as acting president of FIFA
- Reachout World Mission holds Love Fair in December
- Jason Boateng present ‘A Woman’s Desire’ collection
- Princess Shyngle Denies Dating Rapper E.L
- Suppport local entrepreneurs to end poverty - NALAG
- Dare Art Alade Reveals Secrets Behind His Ceaseless Smiles (Photo)
- Why People Say Bad About Usâ€¦Ronke Oshodi
- Photos: Check out the luxurious car gifts P-Square received from Glo
- Ghanaian bloggers get new TV show, “Bloggers Café”
- Don’t miss it!!! ‘Fusion’ at The Cahaya Lounge, October 9
- See How Ik Ogbonna's Wife Was Transformed into A Princess (Photos)
- FIFA President Sepp Blatter And Two Other Top Officials Suspended
- Sarkodie In Trouble Over Stolen Car, Gets Arrested
- Girl Wins Date With Iyanya
- Move over ‘Empire’…Spinlet launches Nigerian, web series, ‘I Go Blow’
- Father of abused boy defends abusers; says they are kind people
- Police go after indicted judges in Anas exposé
- Yomi Fash Lanso Loses Mother
- FEMI FALANA Is Back: Sues SWAZILAND King Over Death Of 60 Virgins
- 50 Cent
- Jackie Chan, IK Ogbonna, Ini Edo, Others Vie For AIFF 2015 Glory
- Jesus Ernesto Chavez is the star witness against his former boss, Arturo Gallegos Castrellon
- Chavez admitted to 800 murders but knows there are more because he stopped keeping track after 800
- Castrellon is the alleged leader of the Barrio Azteca street gang
- Barrio Azteca was the go-to hit-squad for the Juarez drug cartel
- Castrellon, 32, is accused of orchestrating the murders of two Americans during a March 2010 drive-by shooting
- He claims he only confessed after he was tortured for three days by Mexican police who shocked his testicles and raped his wife
- A federal judge ruled last month that his confession can’t be suppressed, but his attorneys want a U.S. jury to decide
- Since Castrellon was arrested the murder rate in Juarez has fallen dramatically
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 22:13 GMT, 11 February 2014 | UPDATED: 22:15 GMT, 11 February 2014
In shocking testimony during the murder trial of an alleged Mexican drug cartel enforcer, the star witness in the case - himself a cartel hitman - told jurors that he stopped keeping track of the number of people he had killed when the number approached 800.
Jesus Ernesto Chavez Castillo, the star witness in the trial of his former boss, Arturo Gallegos Castrellon,gave grisly details about how Castrellon grew the Barrio Azteca gang from a Texas prison gang into the band of contract killers for one of Mexico's most violent drug cartels, the Juarez Cartel.
Chavez testified that he had a daily murder quota he was expected to meet to instill fear in police, elected officials and the public at large.
Hitman: Jesus Ernesto Chavez says he stopped keeping track of the number of people he's killed after 800
Chavez - under Castrellon's rule - says he helped earn Juarez, Mexico, the title of 'Murder Capital of the World' by killing thousands of people over a four-year period while working for the cartel.
In addition to the staggering number of murders for which Chavez has taken credit, the manner in which he killed is as brutal as it is shocking.
Chavez told jurors that he often beheaded or dismembered his victims as a means to impress his boss, Castrellon. The goal of each murder, he testified, was to make it as brutal as possible so 'that it would be big news.'
“I feel I did the right thing, since I did so much wrong,” Chavez said in court, explaining why he was now testifying against his former boss, according to Fox News.
Arturo Gallegos Castrellon, 32, is accused of killing two Americans, an employee at the consulate in Juarez and her husband, during a March 2010 drive-by shooting
Castrellon is on trial for ordering the murders of U.S. Consulate worker Lesley Enriquez, her husband, El Paso
County Sheriff's Officer Arthur Redfels, and Jorge Alberto Salcido
Ceniceros, husband of another consulate employee on March 13, 2010.
victims were gunned down after they left a children’s party. The
couple's one-year-old baby was found unharmed in the back seat of their
Authorities believe the victims were mistaken for rival gang members who mistook the white Honda Pilot in which the were riding for that of a rival cartel member from the Sinaloa Cartel - with which the Juarez Cartel has been engaged in a long, bloody turf war.
Consulate employee Lesley Enriquez, 35, and her husband, El Paso County Sheriff's Detention officer Arthur Haycock Redelfs, were gunned down after they left a children's party in March 2010
Ultimately, the Sinaloa cartel won the war and control of the drug-trade route through El Paso and the surrounding areas.
According to Fox, it could be impossible to ever find out how many murders the Barrio Azteca Gang is responsible for. A telling sign, however, is that fact that after 35 members of the gang were arrested in 2010, the number of murders in Juarez fell from 3,622 in 2010 to 2,086 in 2011.
By 2012, the number of murders was down to 751 - a number that would have been unheard of just three years earlier, when Castrellon and his gang were still on the streets.
a security analyst tells the network the real reason the murder rate is
down is because the war between the cartels has come to an end, with
Sinaloa the victor.
The couple's one-year-old daughter, now orphaned, is cradled by a policewoman in the wake of the 2010 shootings which killed her parents
'The murder rate in Juarez persisted
because you had two powerful criminal organizations providing the
weaponry, money and illicit drugs to push gangs to kill one another,' Stratfor Mexico security analyst Tristan Reed said.
In other words, now that the Sinaloa cartel is unrivaled in Juarez, the murder count has decreased.
warns, though, that Barrio Aztecas is still an active and powerful
street gang on the U.S. side of the border and has been implicated in
several high-profile murders in El Paso over the last several years.
'It is important to remember that Los Aztecas are still a very dangerous street gang operating in both Mexico and the United States,' Reed said. 'However, their ability to carry out violence as seen in 2010 is no longer around.'
Hit squad: A soldier patrols near the car in Juarez in which the U.S. consulate worker and her husband were shot dead in 2010